Group History

21st St Helens (Newton Le Willows)

Our Scout group was formed on 1st January 2000,  we moved into 22 St Helens (1st Newton Le Willows) Headquarters. Following the merger of 22nd Newton Le Willows and 19th  Wargrave both these groups were disbanded.

The group then became known as the 21st St Helens (Newton Le Willows) and currently comprises of a Beaver Colony, a Cub Pack and a Scout group. The group is associated with a District Explorer Unit for those over 14 ½ years of age.

Unfortunately, since it’s opening in 1964 the scout huts has suffered from the elements and lack of maintenance and is now in need of urgent repairs. Refurbishment of the hut began in 2008 with a new roof.

22nd Newton Le Willows

The group was formed in 1927 from a nucleus of Newton boys who had already been working as scouts at Winwick Military hospital and on farms during the latter part of the First World War.

Mrs Arbuthnott of “Brookside” Willow road sponsored the formation and provided the group’s first home in the stables adjoining her home, at which the first investiture by Colonel Thomas of St Helens was made on February 20th 1920.

The group’s biggest rivals in those days were the local Church Lads Brigade and the Vulcan Works Society. Many sporting events and practical jokes emerged from there joint meetings.

The first Scouters were R Arbuthnott, L. Domakin and G Reeeves and at the time, the group was a member of the St Helens Association latter Transferring to Warrington.

Along with many scout activities, camps and Good turns the scouts raise funds through concerts and garden fetes for the purchase of the timber “scout Hut” The forerunner of the present H.Q.

From 1924 when Mrs Arbuthnott left Brookside, the group met on street corners. On Mesnes Park before it was a park. In addition, in various old rooms provided by good friends and so it was with delight that the boys prepared the site for the H.Q. rented at a nominal fee through Mr C.H.Clark of Leigh Estates.

Through the efforts of the then parents committee , Mssrs Reeves, Wagg, Alexandra, Elston, Clark and Appleton the hut (then in use as a dancing school near Leigh) was purchased and transported to Newton. Then in November 1928, the Building was officially opened.

The Group has always been very active, even during the Second World War when all its officers were serving in the forces, enterprise showed by the patrol leaders of the day. G Sankey, W D Thomas, C Lambert and S Bersford kept the troop and pack going until Jack Appleton took over on his return to civilian life.

He quickly established a parents committee whose first job was to raise enough money to put a weather tight roof over the heads, particularly of the audience of the newly started gang show, which for many years proved to be the main source of income.

The somewhat cramped conditions of the stages were in the main, the reason for the desire for a new H.Q. Originally our needs were modest and a new stage house was the extent of our requirements.

However, plans were drawn up for an entirely new building to be erected in three phases over and around the wooden structure, as and when funds allowed. It was mainly through Mr P E Holloways interest and enthusiasm for the schema in its entirety that the idea of building in three parts was abandoned in favoured of a full replacement building.

Therefore, in early 1958, midst snow and ice, the heavy steel work was erected and for the following six years, the group’s manpower and financial recourses were stretched to provide a permanent home for Newton’s Scout. The H.Q. was opened on 18th April 1964 by P.E. Holloway, President of Warrington Boy Scouts Association